2008年4月19日星期六

Risks from Nalgene Bottles

Risks from Nalgene Bottles
Health Concerns Resurface Over Chemical Used
in Hard-Plastic Polycarbonate Water Bottles



While it is not news that some plastics are unsafe for storing drinking water, there are now reports coming out that question even the "safe" plastics.
Please read on ...
Sunday December 23, 2:57 pm ET
By Ben Dobbin, AP Business Writer

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- Catching his breath at a fitness club, Matt McHugh took a gulp of water from his trusty, hard-plastic Nalgene bottle and pondered the idea of switching to an alternative made of glass, stainless steel or another kind of plastic.

Worries about a hormone-mimicking chemical used in the trendy sports accessory led a major Canadian retailer to remove Nalgene and other polycarbonate plastic containers from store shelves in early December.

"It's definitely a concern but I'd like to learn more before I make any decisions about my water bottles," McHugh, 26, a business manager for a reggae band, said with an easy laugh. "For now, I'll probably keep using my Nalgene until it breaks. It's indestructible, I've heard!"